Thursday, February 28, 2013

George Harrison and Rock Critics

George Harrison, 1979
Sorry its been so long, I've been terribly busy with life... Ok, so today we're going to look at the George Harrison self-titled album from 1979.  Rock critics such as Robert Christgau ( the self proclaimed dean of American rock critics, whom I seldom agree with) and others panned this release when it came out, and basically questioned George's talent as a songwriter and a musician.  So I found a copy of this on cd from England (gotta find the original vinyl as well).  So I put it in tonight while reading some homework and... Holy s**t!  This is a great album from a great musician!  Very well written and played.  I think part of the issue with critics (besides the fact that most of them do not know their asses from a hole in the ground) and the former Beatles is that they were no longer Beatles.  You can't expect them to always be the Fab Four.  I also think that the musical climate in 1979 was rapidly changing, and this album was just a little too laid back compared to what was popular at the time.  Regardless, I would recommend this to anyone who likes George Harrison.  Good stuff, and as always, George leads me to a more peaceful place.  Thanks Mr. H
Jason rating:****


Soft-Hearted Hana

1 comment:

  1. For once I agree. I Believe was a my favorite!

    ReplyDelete